John Arena has served our communities as alderman since his election in 2011. As alderman, he has prioritized the revitalization of our local economy and bringing resources to the public schools in our neighborhoods.
Alderman Arena is a founding member of the Progressive Reform Caucus and a strong, independent voice on the Chicago City Council, fighting for a living wage and earned sick leave for Chicago’s workers. His support of ethics reform, government transparency and fiscal accountability has set him apart and earned him the 2017 IVI-IPO Leon Despres Award.
Alderman Arena and his family have lived on the Northwest Side since 1996, and he was a successful small business owner before running for alderman. With his wife Jill, they have raised their family in Portage Park, sending their two children to public schools and supporting local businesses. Alderman Arena is running for reelection to continue the work of revitalizing our communities and ensuring the 45th Ward continues to be a safe, vibrant place for our families to thrive.
As alderman, John Arena has:
• Secured more than $40 million for 45th Ward schools
• Boosted the local economy by recruiting over 100 new businesses and securing millions in small business
• Worked with City Hall to bring $100 million in infrastructure improvements to the 45th Ward
• Placed a referendum on the ballot for an elected school board
• Created a responsive and open ward office
• Facilitated the creation and implementation of community informed Master Plans for both Six Corners and Jefferson Park • Helped fund playgrounds at Foster-Austin, Roberts Square, Grace Zwiefka Thuis, Ashmore, and Independence parks, as well as a new tennis court at Wilson Park Secured funding for a new Independence Park Branch library
• Supported teachers and fair funding for neighborhood schools Funded 20 projects throughout the ward through the participatory budgeting process, which gives 45th Ward residents decision-making power in how their tax dollars are spent. Ushered in public art, including murals and sculptures.